Saturday 27 April 2013

The time, it flies.


This is Ethan at 4 days old. Today Rich told him the story of the night before this photo.

It was about midnight and he'd woken, and fed, and would. not. settle. I was exhausted in the way that only day three (especially with your first) can make you. Plus the hormone crash was happening, so after checking he wasn't still hungry, I handed him over to Daddy to wind and sort out... and promptly fell right to sleep. Rich tried to put him down, but he squawked, so he hurriedly scooped him back up, in the way you do with your first, and held him upright on his chest til he fell asleep. Too terrified of the possibility for squawking, Rich didn't know what to do next, so he came up with the brilliant plan of sitting up in bed all night with Ethan sleeping on his chest. I woke up for the next feed refreshed and poor Rich grabbed a couple of hours before the sun properly emerged.

This all feels like it happened last month. how has it been almost 5 years? Yesterday he lost his first tooth. He was incredibly brave and it was a lovely thing to see a little of myself in him again as he fiddled with his wobbly tooth in the morning. That's definitely a me-trait. I thought he'd be fine at school as it didn't seem like the falling out was imminent, but turned out it worked loose at playtime and he came out with it in a little envelope. Baby teeth are really teeny. He nearly burst with excitement putting it under his pillow for the tooth fairy and has developed a little lisp. And oh, is that the most adorable thing I've ever heard or what. I really cannot believe he'll be 5 in a month. He's growing into such a kind hearted boy though. Today we needed to go looking at baby car seats and he patiently ran about 'looking after' Sam in the early learning centre bit of Mothercare. And he did it very kindly too, not a bit of grabbing or shoving. I do love those boys, especially when they play nicely together :)




In other news, I am now 34 weeks. I am the size of a house, though I don't feel it, so I keep getting a shock when I catch myself in a reflective surface. We don't have a car seat, and therefore no way of getting the baby home from the hospital. The family crib is at Mum and Dad's, with no plans to see them pre-sprogging. I don't have a moses basket. In fairness I've never used a moses basket before, but without a crib it might be a bit more essential this time! We do have a cot (2 in fact. No I don't know why.) but it's enormous for a newborn.


Still, only 6 weeks til D-day, so probably about 8 weeks til any actual birthing, but I bet that time will fly too. Hopefully.


Update: This blog has now moved to www.undomesticaited.wordpress.com - Hope to see you over there!

No comments:

Post a Comment